Highland Games Festival
St. Augustine Celtic Festival -- March 14 & 15 - Skill and Strength
Originating in the Scottish Highlands during the 11th century, Highland games have long been a favorite spectacle, and they're sure to be a major draw at the 2015 St. Augustine Celtic Festival March 14 & 15. You'll see some of the most impressive kilt-donning athletes around challenging one another in traditional Scottish heavy athletics and strength competitions, including the weight throw, Scottish hammer throw, stone put and the always entertaining caber toss, which involves tossing a long, tapered pine log or pole end-over-end.
The Scottish Highland games are traced back to King of Scots Malcolm III, who summoned contestants to a footrace in order to find the fastest runner in the land to serve as royal messenger. Over the centuries, Highland games events have expanded to include piping, drumming and dancing competitions, plus entertainment and exhibits celebrating Scottish and Gaelic culture. Thousands of fans from throughout Florida and Georgia, Savannah to Sarasota, Orlando and The Villages turn out every year for the St. Augustine Celtic Festival Highland Games. So hurry up and get your tickets for a pure good time.
Highland Games Information and Registration
- $25 per person March 14 & 15 to compete for the weekend.
- Registration includes free admission all weekend to the Festival, athletic participation and free lunch.
- Awards will be done at the close of each full day's competition for each of the define division of athletes.
- Athletes are marching in the parade.
- Competition is starting immediately after the parade.
FRIDAY CLINIC -- 2pm - 6pm Friday March 13
Opportunity for any interested in competing as athlete for introduction & training, but not limited to the novice athlete.
- Open Stone Put (16 lb. thrown for distance in any style)
- Heavy Hammer Throw
- 56 lb. Weight for Distance
- 28 lb. Weight for Distance
- Caber Toss (size and weight of caber differs between the classes of athletes)
- Sheaf Toss (16 lb. burlap bag tossed with a pitch fork for height)
- 56 lb. Weight for Height
THE CLASSES OF ATHLETES
- Men's or Women's Open Class (Athletes w/comp. experience)
- Masters Men (40 yrs & up)
Men's NOVICE (Never competed)
- Light-weight Men’s Open (190 lbs or less)
SATURDAY COMPETITION: Novice, Masters, & Open Men
SUNDAY COMPETITION: Novice, Women, & Light-weight Men's Open
Understand that each day's competition is new and has no bearing on the results for the next day. Awards will be done at the close of each full day of competition for each of the defined divisions of athletes.
For more information, download this Highland Games Invitation to Participants.
IF YOU WISH TO REGISTER AND PAY BY MAIL:
Click here to download the Highland Games Registration Form.